Sunday, August 3, 2008

Early morning


I got up early, as is usually (not because more sleep wouldn't have been nice, but because this old body starts aching to lay on it too much). But I have always liked early mornings. Something fresh, new and not so cluttered with people yet. Anyway, I wander outside and see this sun rise, so I grab the camera and take this snap shot. The color is pretty true.

As a kid, I had morning paper routes and the early morning solitude was a little mystical; kind of like it all belonged to me 'cause there wasn't anyone else there to lay claim on it with their presence. Like most good things "always" doesn't fit. I can remember some cold, wet, winter mornings that were fraaking miserable. At one point I had a job in a meat packing plant, (which I don't think fit in with Buddha's 8-fold path thing of right livelihood- snuffing cows and all that) and I had to get up a 3 a.m., and walk a couple of miles to work. I loved the walk. It would probably be too much to call it enchanting, but it was nice.

Anyway, after I take the picture, I come in and put it on the computer screen and pick Dolly Parton's "Early Morning Breeze" on the media player. Perfect.
"I open up my door to greet the early morning sun, and closing it behind me away I do run, to the meadow where the meadow lark is singing in the trees......."

This retirement bit is taking some adjustment. We have always had summers off, but there was always a push to go have fun or get something done since "free time" was finite. Now there is no time limit, but we still feel very lazy if we don't get something accomplished. We're working on it though.

No comments: